Is there VST3 Support Planned?

Started by jonasobermueller

jonasobermueller

Hello, I love the XFer Plugins and have to say they feel like some of the most efficiently coded/stable ones I use.

Seeing however that Steinberg has now completely discontinued the VST2SDK I wonder if the XFer Plugins are planned to receive an update to VST3 Versions?

steve_xfer

I have some plans there but I don't have an ETA or a guarantee of such.

Warm regards,
Steve

jungmannmatt

Yeah, this would be great to add that functionality. As a Cubase user, your plugins are useless to me now.

From Steinberg forum:

"VST2 will be supported into the foreseeable future, i.e. Cubase will continue to be able to host VST2 plugins; the only thing related to VST2 that is no longer supported by Steinberg is the VST2 "SDK", the software developer's kit for that version. By "no longer supported", it just means the SDK will see no further development. New developments will happen in the VST3 SDK. If you're not a software developer, it need not concern you. "

Trancit01-splice

I like to second this request…

VST3 offers one feature I more and more miss with all my VST2 plugins more and more:
The ability to edit automation points in my DAWs with real values instead of percentage… this makes life so much easier!!

Please Steve!!! Serum as a VST3i would be the killer!! :)

I just purchased this and It is not affecting the Midi output to the synth in anyway. Is this because it is not VST3? If so, I'd like to politely request a refund

carlcaulkett

@steve_xfer If you do bring out a VST3 version of Serum, would this affect the way that Bitwig Studio is able to display all the .FXP presets in its browser? I've noticed that other synths have had problems with presets in their VST3 versions, and I'd hate to lose this ability 😉

steve_xfer

If and when (more likely 'when') there is a VST3 version I certainly don't plan to rid the VST2 version.
VST3 has caused a lot of confusion as 3 is a larger number and therefore implied to be 'better' - while it does bring some features (+ the good ones could have been easily added to VST2), it is different enough from VST2 that its more of a new format than an upgrade.

petarsakic

Steve, can you please share any info what can we expect in Serum v2? Except maybe vst3 format, maybe more oscs and types of synthesis…more filters…? Thank you!

steve_xfer

I'm sorry, I don't discuss future plans as they are subject to change, if becomes when, etc.

soundpeaks_net-splice

I'm so sorry but sometimes when I read threads like this if feel like "jeez how people that are going to make music on PC are so dumb, there is no way they will make it".

audioassassin

I'd also love to see VST3 because currently in FL Studio note velocities are not possible.

You can currently use note velocity in FL Studio, in Serum you need to link it to a destination with the VELO source in lower-right, or in the Matrix for Velo->Volume:

Source: Velo Amt: 100% Dest: Global->Amp <-> mod Type.

however FWIW, VST3 support is now planned (however not imminent).

vertibration

nice to see that its planned. Pretty sure its going to come in handy for DAW's that support VST3, especially if any DAW's want to support apple silicon in VST3 format.

Hi, just to add to this thread, Cubase 12 will not support VST2 on Apple Silicon, seems like they're really trying to push people off the old standard! I for one do plan to upgrade, starting with my portable machine but will ultimately upgrade my main production workstation, certainly within a few years. I love Serum for crunchy Psytrance leads so would be great if there's a version comes out with support, at least before Apple OS upgrades stop working on my old workstation! The window is measured in years, but it is finite.

Here's the announcement from Steinberg:

https://forums.steinberg.net/t/cubase-12-is-coming-in-2022/748776

VST3 would be most welcome in Serum & LFO tool. It would make triggering LFOtool by audio sidechain a breeze in cubase, where it is currently a royal pain in the butt to sidechain anything in VST2 or setup all the MIDI routing for LFOtool. All the updates to Cubase's sidechaining were done with VST3 in mind so the only way to do it in VST2 is still setting up quadro tracks with 2 slave buses.

Almost every plugin I own now are available in both VST2 & 3 format. Native Instruments started rolling it out this year & have now done all their FX I own (except Guitar Rig 6) & even the old original Massive. Still waiting on some updates to the other instruments I own. Soundtoys announced they are releasing VST3 format soon. I think that only leaves my Xfer stuff & some old stuff like Camelphat (which will never be updated for obvious reasons)

It will happen at some point, for the plugins you mention - provided I stay alive, mentally healthy, etc. I can't promise any ETA at this point - it's a near-total rebuild of the plugins, which is underway, but it's unfortunately more than trivial in my case (having developed directly in VST2 format, and VST3 is not at all similar).

Yes, I agree with you. I don't think Steinberg is doing itself any favors by putting developers under such pressure and also prevent future Steinberg products from loading older projects that rely on VST 2 instruments and plugins. There are a lot of great, well-maintained plugins out there that haven't been ported yet (and in which I have invested a lot of money). It would be awful if they could no longer be used or – even worse – if the developers stopped supporting them due to lack of capacities.

It's a bizarre and unfortunate situation…

Welp, I guess it's onward to VST4 LoL…..also Steve, your reply up this thread where you said, "VST3 has caused a lot of confusion as 3 is a larger number and therefore implied to be 'better'" had me legit lmaooooooo, but aside from being hilarious it's also true unfortunately. Anyways, I have no real purpose for my post here aside from thanking you for making me laugh and to also say please take care of yourself in all senses of the word. I know I need to practice what I preach and that it's a helluvalot easier said than done, but I just appreciate you and all you do and while I certainly could add my list of requests to the pile I care more about you first and foremost, and I'm just eager to see what the future holds for us…..hopefully slightly less dystopian dumpster fires and more Xfer awesomeness : ) Sending love from Brooklyn Brother (fist bump emoji)

It's a bizarre and unfortunate situation…

I've read many times that VST3 did not work very well and even Urs from Uh-e did not recommend to install VST3 due to issues up to maybe a year ago.There were many flaws for automation. The parameters in VST3 did not report back to the host and so on… I began to slowly use VST3 the last 2 Years or so because for me they started to getting better and better and people seem to not complain much anymore. For live performances and CPU handling I think VST3 is the better protocol NOW. Of course a serious developer had to use VST 2, From that point of view it's a pretty tight development Time frame.
Steinberg changed the VTS3 Code for the better but it took them years and now they are nothing but rushing. A developer also need to maintain a plugin and maybe want to bring something new to the table…
I'm using SerumFX a lot, it is rock solid and I'm heavily automating many SerumFX parameters and don't have any crashes!