Cthulhu and Reason

Started by philterwa

philterwa

I'm curious about Cthulhu. Not sure how it wires in Reason. Does it have features the Players in Reason don't cover?

Synap-Tic

Afaik, Reason does not support Cthulhu or other Midi related Vsts as Arps and the like.

steve_xfer

This is correct. "MIDI out" from a VST is required, they could potentially add that in the future. You could also subhost in theory by running BlueCat Patchwork or something similar to hold both Cthulhu and a destination synth. This would give you basic functionality however no way to "print" the MIDI.

-Steve

Isn't there a way to send it to an external instrument and use some sort of loopback setup? I thought I saw a video of a VST doing something similar to that, sending controller data out to the External MIDI device, but it could have been something else that was doing that.

steve_xfer

There may be a way with rewire or virtual wiring, but then you're using another host technically.

philterwa

Appreciate the response. As a keyboard player when steve_xfer remarked about ruts in a tutorial video really resonated (much like a filter) with me. I found some of that discovery through the player devices in Reason. Not hardcore enough to find the round about way but if the props open the door I'm in. Meanwhile, Serum is a delight. I haven't had this much fun since my CZ 1000. Okay, that dates me but what the hell.

I'm not sure tho but since reason brought up the possibility of third party "players" as plugins wouldn't this be a way to make cthulhu work in reason too?

steve_xfer

You can run a subhost such as BlueCat Patchwork and run Cthulhu and a destination (VST) synth inside. However if Reason supported MIDI out from the VSTi natively, then you could (in theory) route Cthulhu to a Reason device, or record (print) Cthulhu's MIDI output, etc.

Warm regards,
Steve

You can run a subhost such as BlueCat Patchwork and run Cthulhu and a destination (VST) synth inside. However if Reason supported MIDI out from the VSTi natively, then you could (in theory) route Cthulhu to a Reason device, or record (print) Cthulhu's MIDI output, etc.

Warm regards,
Steve

Reason now supports MIDI out. Since February 2020 if anyone is still wondering. The Cthulhu page says it's unsupported. Ryan from Reason Studios posted a video on YouTube on how MIDI out works for other DAWS such as Live and Pro Tools.

Reason now supports MIDI out. Since February 2020 if anyone is still wondering. The Cthulhu page says it's unsupported. Ryan from Reason Studios posted a video on YouTube on how MIDI out works for other DAWS such as Live and Pro Tools.

Reason has had midi out since Reason 7 which is going back to 2013'ish. The video you are getting confused with is about the Reason Rack Plugin which can not run host VST's in anyway however this thread is about VST midi out to Reason which as stated does not support it directly.
You can run VST3 like Cthulhu (even in Reason 9.5) with Midi out using VST-hosts, I prefer Kushview Elements which is free at the moment and then you just loopback into Reason if you want to control RE's, if you want to control (send midi to) other VST's you don't even need the loopback, I have been doing this since Reason 9.5 no theory about it, I have several video's on my Youtube channel PoohBears Reason Channel about it and it's simply to use like using any VST in Reason.